We’ve all heard them! Weird and wonderful statements that are supposed to inspire us, excite us, and turn our mlm or network marketing business into an overnight success!
I do believe that most network marketers, especially newbies, start off truly believing these statements, statements that are made either by their company or by their sponsor, albeit in the spirit of helpfulness!
What are these 7 Great Lies? Well, here they are!
1. Everyone is your prospect!
2. This really isn’t sales. We just share products with people.
3. Anyone can do this!
4. We’ll build your business for you.
5. We have the best product ever!
6. You just don’t have enough belief!
7. The proven system!
Sound familiar? I’m sure that every mlm/network marketer has heard all of these statements at some stage during their network marketing experience!
Understanding these myths, and changing forever the way we go about our network marketing business, is the real key to success in network marketing. So with that in mind, let’s briefly go through these 7 lies.
1. “Everyone is your prospect!” Oh boy! If you’ve tried to tell absolutely everyone about your mlm opportunity – and I’ll bet that you have at some stage – then you’ll already know the results of this one! Such tactics as trying to prospect your family and friends, total strangers down at the local mall, gas station attendants, waitresses, check out operators, leaving flyers on car windshields, letter box drops etc have all damaged the reputation of the network marketing industry to an alarming degree! Everyone is NOT your prospect!
2. “This really isn’t sales. We just share products with people”. What? Of course it’s sales! We’re not giving the products away free, are we? The idea is to make some money here. This total fallacy has resulted in many a network marketer starting out on totally the wrong foot, heading off in totally the wrong direction, all because they’ve been told that it’s not really sales! Here’s the absolute actual fact! If you are in network marketing, you are in sales!
3. “Anyone can do this”. While a person with a successful background in sales could have an edge when it comes to network marketing, it doesn’t necessarily follow that he or she will become a successful network marketer. On the other hand, a complete novice or newbie with no previous sales experience could be very teachable (given the CORRECT teaching, of course) and go on to achieve amazing success in their network marketing business. Any one person CAN do this, given their own desire and commitment to see it through. But it is totally incorrect to blatantly state “anyone can do this”!
4. “We’ll build your business for you”. If anyone ever says that to you, run a good few miles in the opposite direction! Why? Because they are appealing to the lazy people amongst us, who are never going to achieve success no matter what they’re promised! There’s only ONE person who can build your business, and that’s you! If, however, someone tells you that they can HELP you to build your business by offering you valuable training, education and resources, then they are worthy of your further attention.
5. “We have the best product ever”. Let me tell you something, you can have the very best product in the entire world! It’s really not the product that matters – it’s the marketing that matters. With excellent marketing even a second rate product will make the grade. Alternatively, an excellent product can fail miserably given poor marketing techniques.
6. “You just don’t have enough belief”. Huh? Just what is meant by this statement? Not enough belief for what? Does it mean that you’re not motivated enough? Does it mean that you need to have a big “why”? Does it mean that you need to read motivational books, listen to inspirational tapes, meditate and practise yoga every day? There’s nothing wrong with any of these things, but they’re NOT the answer to being successful in your network marketing business. The answer is in education about HOW to go about your network marketing business. A step by step method which will lead you steadily towards the greatest motivator of all – RESULTS!
7. “The proven system”. Sadly, the old system still being taught – amazingly enough – by a huge number of mlm/network marketing companies is simply antiquated, out of date, and no longer works! In other words, it’s broken – fatally flawed! So, it’s NOT proven at all!
To summarise, knowing these lies will help you to realise that, with high quality training and help, you can multiply your downline, starting right away. There is no substitute for good network marketing education.